1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stellas mommy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    I have 2 broody hens now I brought them home from a friend, about 2 days ago. They are laying, and will sit on them for a little bit and just hop off and thats the end of it. Maybe I'm to paranoid but this is my fist time with broodies. Maybe moving them is too much stress on them to be broody anymore?

2. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Hmmm...I'd say that if they are still laying eggs, they aren't broody anymore. When a hen goes broody, she stops laying and hunkers down to hatch out the clutch that is there. She won't start laying again until the chicks are raised.

3. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    Is there any way I can help make them broody again?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What you can try is leave some eggs for them in the nest boxes. Mark them with crosses, so if they lay, you'll know which eggs are fresh. A friend of mine and my MIL does this to encourage their hens to go broody. They've had quite a good success rate with this method. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by