Question about broody hens sharing eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amythebooklady, Apr 29, 2017.

1. amythebooklady

amythebooklady Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Sheridan, NY
    I've searched the boards for an answer to my particular question but no luck so here goes:

I have one broody hen sitting on a dozen eggs. They are due to hatch mid to end of next week (May 3-6 or so) She is in a separate coop and has been since I put her on the eggs

Since then another hen has gone broody.

Can I put her in with the other hen and give her some of those eggs to sit on? She has been broody for about a week. I have been waiting to see if she will stay broody and it appears that she is committed.

Both hens are Cochran, a little less than a year old.

In the past I have successfully let 2 hens hatch eggs in the same isolated coop at the same time but they went in there together and sat for the same amount of time...and then co-parented. So fun!

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    For many reasons I would not do that. I set 72 in one year and all 72 were in separate pens. Once I had 2 just separated by wire---chicks were born a few days apart----one hen decided to feather dust and dug a hole just big enough that her chicks ended up in the other side----that hen killed everyone of them. If you want to take a chance Go For It and see what happens. If you do not want to take a chance----keep them separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by