Question about broody poop

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gritsar, Jan 11, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm still having to force my broody off the nest once a day for her to get some fresh air and sunshine, have time to eat, drink and poop. She has food and water right in front of her, but doesn't eat or drink much of it.

*Squeamish stop reading here*

Yesterday when the broody was out she pooped so much it would have done one of our german shepherds proud.

DH says this is a good thing, that she must be getting plenty to eat to be able to poop that much.

Correct?

I worry so much about her losing too much body weight.

2. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    It is perfectly normal for a broody to have enormous poo. She holds it in while on the nest and saves it until she gets up.

Try putting the food and water across the pen from her to encourage her getting up. She will not starve herself, so don't worry. She will eat enough and be perfectly fine.

3. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    Broody poop is large and nasty. [​IMG] I think she is fine. Ive had a few broodies that never seemed to get off the nest either, so just to make ME feel better made them get off once aday. But I think they would of been fine anyway, they seem to get what they need. Good luck, hope the eggs all hatch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by