Question about broody

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lincolnsilkies, Oct 3, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    I have a quick question i have a silkie hen who is setting on 4 eggs so far 3 are going strong i also have some eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch 8 days before and 6 days before the ones under her are due to hatch basically 3 different hatch dates so my question is do u think she will adopt the other hatches if i sneak them under her after the others are born that she is sitting on or is that to much of a age difference? Thanks!

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    A chick can grow a lot in 6 or 8 days, so even if she does take them - and my broodies won't take new babies past the first day or so - I wouldn't give her too many or the larger chicks could dogpile the smaller ones or push them out from under mom, chilling them. It's one thing to mix chicks within a certain age range in a brooder because we control the heat distribution, they're not huddling under mom's wings, etc., but in the tighter space of a nesting box I think it would be riskier. Just my 2 cents.

3. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    it depends on yuor broody, some i have seen would raise anyting you put under them. others will not. is this your broodies first batch? i have seen some raise duck, geese, keets, turkeys, and peacocks. just depends on hen. just make sure you introduce them after dark while hen is sleeping and moniter her reaction

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you give her the chick sshe may fuss with the first ones to hatch and abandon her eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by