Question about Buff Orpington Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StormyMoon, Jul 19, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have a rooster I was told was a Buff Orpington I measured him he is 1ft 7 according to the measuring tape from toe to top of head. Is that normal?
    We tried introducing him to our buff hens but he is 3 times their size is it safe to put him with them? I tried today to put them together all he wanted to do was mate.
    So I put him back in the crate and let the girls go out side. What would you suggest.... he was in a crate with some BR roosters with divider between them.
    Now he has the crate to him self until I can build him a pen for him self. I worried if I put him in at night with his size he would do some damage he is massive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    :: Bump:: Is it possible for a BO Roo to get so big? and will the hens catch up to match him or similar to be nearly as big as him.....
    What I am curious is if this is normal in all BO Roosters?

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    He's a rooster - he is going to WANT to mate with hens. As long as he is not too rough with them for a long period of time, he should be fine. He's going to chase them, try to mate, then he'll get it out of his system and calm down.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    There are some big boys out there, and in my Orps I've found some giants!

If you put them together in a large area, after letting the see one another for a few days between fencing, etc, and give them LOTS of GOOD treats, like cantaloupe halves and grapes and things like that, you'll give them an opportunity to be around each other without focusing on each other.

There will be brutal mating behavior, but it will wear off after a day. You just have to understand that it needs to happen to move on. Don't let it get bloody, but if you offer distractions and space for escape, they'll get over it quicker.

5. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Ok thanks both of you ! Whew his size to them was worrying me a little..
    He is very sweet he lets me and my daughter pick him up and don't complain or run from us.
    I will give him and them some time to get use to each other before I let him out with them all.
    I would like some buff babies running around lol....

Again thank you so much for your info I will apply all the advice given !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by