Question about butchering #2

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by guardianoftheflock, Apr 21, 2019.

1. guardianoftheflock

guardianoftheflock Songster

Jul 15, 2018
    USA
    Howdy y'all! I have a strange sorta question. I've been butchering today and was wondering, should you wait any amount of time before eating the meat? Like...is there some sorta curing process? Thanks in advance for y'all's help!:):)

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. garp94

garp94 Songster

May 2, 2009
    Wrong Island, New York
    Yes, letting the meat 'rest' lets it go through rigor mortis and then relax. I forget if the minimum is 1 or two days, but I try to let mine rest 3.

3. garp94

garp94 Songster

May 2, 2009
    Wrong Island, New York
    I used to think you could let it rest before or after freezing, but i've seen a few people comment that resting it before freezing [ if that's in the plan] is better. seems freezing kills some of the enzymes that tenderize the meat.
    That said, i've done both, and [ not having both side by side] haven't noticed any difference

4. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Mine has gone straight to the freezer simply because I didnt know they were supposed to rest. Figured they had all the time in the world to rest in the freezer. LOL I dont know how tender they would of been though because I always made chicken dumplins on them.

guardianoftheflock and rjohns39 like this.
  5. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    I've tested both methods with CX and turkeys (ducks just wait until they are limber). CX I let rest in the fridge or on Ice 24-48 hours, you can tell when they limber up. Turkeys take 3-4 days for the rigor to pass. If you're making soup or chicken and dumplings with them, it probably doesn't matter. I've also found it's a lot easier to do cut-ups after the rigor has passed. And just one last tip, the feet make a great addition to stock.

6. guardianoftheflock

Jul 15, 2018
    USA
    Thanks! I thought I had heard something along those lines but wasn't possitive! I'll let it rest then.

trumpeting_angel and rjohns39 like this.
  7. guardianoftheflock

Jul 15, 2018
    USA
    Alright! I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for your insight!

Granny Hatchet and rjohns39 like this.
  8. guardianoftheflock

Jul 15, 2018
    USA
    Ah yes! I've heard about throwing the feet in to make stock! Thank you for your advice! Everyone on here is always super helpful! What is rigor? This is only my second time butchering so I'm not at all an expert. I've never heard that term before. Thank you again!

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    rigor mortis. Generally within an hour of processing they'll be stiff as a board. Save your bones too. Roasted bones are great for bone broth. And depending on where you are, if you have a falcon club near you, they'll buy the heads. Of course, that's just one more sort bucket under the table.

guardianoftheflock likes this.
  10. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    Are spending all your time in the great outdoors with your animals, and failing to watch detective shows on TV? That’s how I learned about rigor mortis! ;)

:oops:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: