1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about Buttercup roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GretchenM, Jun 9, 2011.

1. GretchenM

GretchenM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    We ordered 34 hens and 1 rooster but were given "bonus" chicks, including a "bonus" rooster. We ordered a mix of breeds, including 4 Sicilian Buttercups. It seems, at the age of 3 1/2 months, that we have SIX roosters!!!! Three of them are Buttercups! I have absolutely fallen in love with the Buttercups because of their wonderful personalities, and it turns out 3 out of 4 are roosters. We know we need to get rid of most of those roosters, but I am hoping hoping hoping that, given the rather docile (tho curious!) personality of the Buttercups, those roosters may not get too aggressive, whether with each other or the hens. Am I living in a fantasy world?! The Buttercup roosters have, btw, started doing the confrontation thing, where they puff up their feathers and flap their wings at each other, but other than that, they are THE most laid-back of the bunch!

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sorry, I have no experience with buttercup roosters. I only have a buttercup hen.

3. celticbird

celticbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    silver city
    If they are roosters they will eventually fight.....the question is how hard will they fight....most non game breeds will eventually establish a dominance line and be fine....its a good idea with multiple roos to give them alot of space then they usually will establish their own domain so to speak. Leave them be see what happens if they start really tearing into each other where they become bloody and badly wounded u will needto seperate or get rid of some. Chances are they will fight till they establish who is cock of the walk and then will leave it alone for the most part with a few scraps here and there. However theother issues u must consider is over breeding of your hens to many roos will wear them out so to speak and cause baldness etc. If you want multiple roosters id say the best options are if possible to free range them or build seperate pens so they each have their own space. If that's not possible then you may have to get rid of some.

4. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I really wouldn't worry about it with a rooster:hen ratio like that. I've had four BC Marans and a RIR lead rooster live peacefully amongst 30 laying hens.

5. GretchenM

Mar 7, 2011
    That's very encouraging, thank you!

Love the quote in your sig block....

6. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    If they are raised together they may not fight much as they have an established pecking order.You might need more females as the ratio is not good .You do not need all the males,but if you are culling,the comb is an important feature of buttercups,so try to pick a good combed one.If you have a male the comb goes all around and is not seperated in the back (can actually hold a spoonful of water without running out the back),sort of like a crown;that is the kind to select and not to deep of serrated points,squarely placed and symmetrical.

7. ilovehome

ilovehome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    I know how you feel. I love buttercups, too, including the roosters. Flighty, but sweet, quiet, delicate and good layers. And I am in need of a rooster! I have two beautiful hens who need a mate, but I can not find any. I tried to post a wanted ad, but I don't have 10 posts yet...this is number 7, though!

My buttercup roosters raised together did not fight, but the first one I had let a Polish think he was the boss for several months; then one day I looked out and the buttercup was chasing the polish all around the yard. And he ruled until he died.

8. GretchenM

Mar 7, 2011
    I maintain the Buttercups are smart like a fox!! They play flighty, but they always have something up their sleeve! ;-) Where do you live?? Wish I could share one of my BC roosters with you. I ADORE them -- each of them has a wonderful personality, and every single one of our chicks (37, I think 7 different breeds) have been healthy as could be since Day One. I'm near Austin, Tx.... if by ANY chance you're in the general area, let's talk!!

9. ilovehome

ilovehome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    I think they are smarter than your average bird! LOL I live in Arkansas, and actually drove all the way to Belton in April for a rabbit show. So there is the potential to be in your area some day...

10. GretchenM

Mar 7, 2011
    well, if you are and still want a BC rooster, let me know, and we'll see what the situation is! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by