Question About Buying Adult Geese Mixing With Current Geese & Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by youdontknow32, Jan 29, 2009.

1. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    ...Hello:D

Ok, so craigslist posting for geese...25 of them ages 1-6 I believe..I e-mailed them, I am only interested in a few pairs younger ones...But I want to know if it is ok to bring them home and put them in with my 4 ducks and 2 geese or if they have to be separated just like chickens...

Thanks..

[​IMG]

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I recommend separating... my goose is real defensive of his space, and when I tried to reintroduce a broody hen and her baby, he practically ATE my hen... I think for the sake of your ducks and the status quo, i'd separate...

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Since your geese will be outnumbered, I would try this method. If you range them, let YOUR geese out first where they can see the other flock for a day or two. Then on consecutive days, let out two or three of the newbies, where they all can see each other.FEED THEM AND GIVE TREATS when your doing this-it distracts all of them. The original geese will take the lead because they will not be afraid of their own territory. Being flock animals, the new geese will look to them for security. Eventually they will all come together as a flock. It's less stressful for all of them doing it this way.

4. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

That sounds like a great idea, and we can do that no problem, that is kind of what I had in mind..I am so excited, I hope it all goes well:D

Nicole

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Geese are so smart. The newbies sometimes do not trust the food at first! They have to see one of their own kind eating it! Maybe they think their being poisoned!

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:a lot depends upon what space you are putting them in..

I have a half acre fenced in for the geese.. I brought home a small flock of 9 and put them in with my existing 10 with no problem. they never did integrate, but they co-existed OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by