Question about candling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Foghorn Leghorn, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    oklahoma
    I just tried this and the egg just slipped right out of my hand and broke on the bathroom floor![​IMG] How do you handle yours, with a rubber glove or something?? That egg was slippery!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    This is something I am sure everyone worries about when candling eggs. Just make sure your hands and the eggs are dry. I hope you still have others. Good luck

3. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    oklahoma
    Well after that mishap, I think I'll let someone else hold the egg and I'll just operate the light!! The one I broke didn't have any veins or anything to make me think it would hatch anyway. The cat like it!!

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I dropped one from the last batch. It was 12 days in and fertile [​IMG] it was horrible. I think it's happened to lots of us, though.

I changed my technique. Instead of holding it sideways to the light, or up to the light, I now set the light down and set the egg on top. That way if I let go, it just sits there. And the only time I'm holding is to/from the bator (also fraught with anxiety!!)

Meghan

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I did that once too Queen...just made me sick when I saw that little chick embryo. Now I no longer rush....I just pretend I'm a hen off the nest for my daily break!

6. marcuscarr

marcuscarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    The light I built sits stationary and has a hole smaller than the diameter of the egg. I just set the egg on the hole. I am probably too clumsy to try to run an egg, a flashlight and try to look for something all at the same time =] Then I would get excited when I saw something and my hands would shake and I would end up with scrambled chicks, or at least dizzy ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by