Question about Ceramic Heaters and how they are used

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pwand, Jan 24, 2009.

1. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I bought a ceramic heater 250 watt "Heat wave lamp by Exo Terra" It states that you have to use it with there fixture brand name. I bought a heat lamp that is a 250 watt for poultry. I would think it should be ok to use it in that lamp that I have. What does everybody think.

The other question is that we don't get much colder than -10 C / 13F . Would you put it on a timer and have it go off maybe during that day? We don't typically stay that cold for long. It off and on when it gets cold and warms up a bit again. We are heading back into another cold spell.

2. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a couple heat lamps that are controlled by a thermo cube. Here is a discription form a web site:

The Thermo Cube for De-Icers

This handy Thermo Cube plugs into a standard AC electrical outlet and will automatically turn on the power when the surrounding air temperature reaches 35 degrees and will turn off the power when the air temperature exceeds 45 degrees. The Thermo Cube unit can be used with several different devices to save electricity. Works great on: self regulating heat tape, heat lamps, stock tank heaters, pond de-icers, engine block heaters, etc. Can also be used as a "Freeze Warning Device" by connecting it to a lamp that is visible from your house. The Thermo Cube will light the lamp if the temperature in the building drops below 35 degrees!

Of course here in MN, it hasn't shut off in the last couple months [​IMG]

3. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    That is a great option. I will check it out and see if I can find one. thanks.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I googled those Thermocubes, and found that TSC (and many others) carries them. Great idea, I'd never heard of them. I need about 3.

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I live in Canada, I can't find it. I spoke to someone at home depot and she said if its not CSA, we can't get them here. If anyone with this cube, could you look on the cube to see if it says CSA. thanks

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    http://cozywinters.com/shop/thermocube-3.html

Features
    :
    Save electricity by running equipment only when necessary
    Plugs into a standard 15 amp electrical outlet
    Operates with any 15 amp 120 volt electrical heater or fan
    Can be used outdoor or indoor
    Works automatically to ambient temperature
    Instant installation
    Maximum Rating: 1800 Watts, 15 Amps, 120VC (to be used with GFCI outlets)
    Approval: UL and CSA (for Canada)
    Warranty: 1 Year

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Thanks so much. I have searched and searched, and when I go to order it, would allow me too. Thanks Again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by