Question about chemicals on ryegrass seed...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by susanah, Oct 11, 2011.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    We bought a bag of ryegrass seed because our backyard was torn up due to septic work and we
    want to get some grass down fast for winter to keep out weeds. The bag says it is treated with
    mefenoxan and there are all kinds of warnings about being near food, etc. Probably not good for the
    chickens. Can you buy untreated seed? And if so where?

2. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    It is a fungicide put on the seed. Not something I would use around chickens.

I am sure you could order some that is organic and does not have the mefenoxan treatment on it.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Any local feed store normally carries grass seed that is not treated.

Question for you though: Why would you want to plant ryegrass? You do realize it is going to come up and then just die don't you? (Unless you bought perennial rye which I doubt). You'll be much better off to just buy Ky 31 Fescue, Creeping Red Fescue or Bluegrass, if you are wanting grass that is green all year.

4. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    We just want the ryegrass through winter...then in the spring the St. Augustine we have everywhere else should grow like mad and fill it in.
    Thanks all. I will try the feed store.

5. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I understand: it's a Southern thing.

You should have said as much. lol

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I understand: it's a Southern thing.

You should have said as much. lol

]
    Not just that, but Ryegrass will germinate quickly and help hold the soil together while giving slower growing permanant grasses time to fill in​

7. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:]
    Not just that, but Ryegrass will germinate quickly and help hold the soil together while giving slower growing permanant grasses time to fill in

True if you are on a hill or have planted other grasses; otherwise, it is just a waste of money or it's that Southern thang.[​IMG]

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:]
    Not just that, but Ryegrass will germinate quickly and help hold the soil together while giving slower growing permanant grasses time to fill in

True if you are on a hill or have planted other grasses; otherwise, it is just a waste of money or it's that Southern thang.[​IMG]

Rye grass is used just as they said here in the north too. It is a part of many grass seed mixes, or can be used alone like above in the winter and then you can plant other in the spring.

9. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    Having been in the lawn care business for 20+ years I would NEVER seed in the spring unless absolutely neccesary. Young grass is very susceptable to heat stress and you will lose anywhere between 40%-60% of what you planted to heat stress. Planting in the Fall is optimal if possible. This gives the grass time to establish a root system through the winter. It may stop growing on top but the roots will still progress more than in the heat of spring and summer. IF you can plant in the EARLY EARLY spring, it works okay, but fall is best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by