Question About Chick Care

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bremat, May 8, 2009.

1. bremat

bremat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    KY
    I have baby chicks that are 5 days old. I know you are not supposed to put them on newspaper in the beginning , but man, they are going through alot of paper towels! They are soooo messy. Once they learn to get around really good, is it ok to switch to newspaper or no? I am going to put them in a different brooder when they get a little bigger , but the little banty chick's legs are so tiny, I was afraid to put them on hardware cloth just yet. What do you think? I appreciate your help!

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Can you put some pine shavings down? That will help a lot.

3. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    I have always used the paper towels the first few days , then switch to pine shavings. Make sure they are pine. Do not use cedar, very toxic to chickens. I haven't used newspaper, from what I have read they tend to get slick. Chicks can injury a leg. Good luck with your new babies!![​IMG]

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine go on pine shavings from day one and i have never had a problem.

5. bremat

May 7, 2009
    KY
    Well, I had thought about using pine shavings. I even found some at Fred's. But they are living in my living room at the moment (LOL) and I have to keep it changed and clean so I do not have to smell them. How well do the pine shavings control the odor and how often would I have to change it? I have 12 babies in there now.

6. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    don't use newspapers, as they can damage the little chicks' respiratory systems (when the inks get wet, i think)...

i would definitely go with pine shavings after the first few days of paper towels!!

remember: noooo cedar shavings! (will kill chicks)

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would put them on pine shavings and just add a layer of fresh shavings each day. Then clean out the whole thing as necessary. I had 8 in a 4' X 3' box and changed it completely once a week with top dressing each day. When they are little I think the pine shavings contol any oder very well. Just clean it as often as you want. The added bonus of shavings is that it makes a warm, comfortable bed for them.

8. bremat

May 7, 2009
    KY
    Ok, thank you all for your advice. I will go into town this afternoon and get some pine shavings.

9. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    good luck with your little chicks!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by