1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about chick crumb and eating eggs!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tartannik, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    I have quite a few chicks at various ages, some on chick crumb and some on growers then the hens on Layers Pellets.
    The hens with the babies have their own feed plus the chick crumb for the babies in a separate bowl. The mums eat the chick crumb obviously but what i would like to know is if the hens are eating and then start laying eggs again, can we eat those eggs after the hens eating the crumb with the 'anti cocci' stuff in it?? Same goes for the growers it has the anti stuff in it too.
    My hens are completely free range so all ages are in together apart from mums and babies but that is an open pen and the other hens just fly in and out and help themselves!!!!
    Thoughts would be appreciated!!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Why not just put the whole flock on non-medicated grower with some shell on the side for the layers? Then you won't need to worry about the edibility of the eggs.

3. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing, but i was wanting to finish what i had first instead of throwing it away!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by