Question about chick feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kiaya611, Apr 4, 2007.

1. kiaya611

kiaya611 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    I have been feeding my chicks Nutreena Naturewise "Chick Starter Complete Crumbs 20", but that is from a store that is 13 miles from here. My local feed store (less that a half mile from here) selld Land o' Lakes "Chick Starter/Grower Medicated".

Could anybody tell me if one is better than the other, and if so which is better? I have looked at the tags on the bags, but allot of that is "Greek to me". I would appreciate your help since I need to buy more and if there isn't a big difference, I would prefer going witht he local " mom and pop" feed store, not to mention it saves on gas and time.

Also, I know that at least with dogs and cats, if you change feed, you are supposed to do it gradually as not to cause intestinal problems, which I certainly don't want to do.

Your help is always appreciated.

2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I woud go the the medicated one unless they are both medicated. Then I guess I an not really a help. Medicated is always better from what I have read.

If I am wrong would someone correct me thanks

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well.....as far as the medicated.....if your chicks were vaccinated, its not a good idea to give them medicated feed. If they were NOT vaccinated, then definately medicated feed. Hope this helps!

4. chickiepooh

chickiepooh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Otsego, Minnesota
    I have heard... from our local feed store manager who also has chickens that medicated is not good for healthy chicks. Medication is hard on their systems... just like it is for us. Why give medicine to a healthy animal? I didn't medicate my chicks and they weren't vaccinated. I just feed them good food and supplements and make sure they have clean water and a good clean coop and run. I feed my chickens a warm cereal mash that consists of oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits, crushed egg shells, bee pollen, spirulina, and Avian Charge 2000. The girls love it and I am confident they get all the supplements they need to keep them healthy and naturally resistant to those bad bugs out there. I hope this helps. It works for me. [​IMG]

5. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I'm with Justusnak on this one. I have non-vaccinated chicks on med starter and vaccinated chicks on non-med starter. Both sets of chicks get bits of fruit, bugs, grass, bread, etc. periodically and they both have grit and fresh water available to them at all times. They all look and act great: active, alert, and playful. One set is 6 weeks and the other set is 2 weeks old. I have not encountered any problems with either set.

As for brands, the med starter I use is Purina's Start and Grow, I don't remember the other brand offhand.

6. jgarreth

jgarreth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2013
    How do you know if they are vaccinated or not?? I got my chicks from TSC and Rural King.

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    You have to ask the people where you got them. They may not know, but the person who order them from the hatchery should be able to find out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by