Question about Chick Feeders!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sugroxz, May 15, 2011.

1. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    I am having issues with my little babies digging the feed out with their beeks and wasting the food. Seems like everyone isn't happy until the feeder is completely empty and the food is wasted..
    I have the chick feeders that they can only get their head in from the feed store.. With chick feed being so high I sure hate them wasting so much of it.. I've tried putting it where only their head can reach and it doesn't matter they still dig it out.. Any Suggestions???

2. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    I'm a newbie but mine did that a bit without the top on it (I didn't put it on for the first week and a half cause they'd dive through the openings and I was scared they'd get their heads hung and pull their heads off), but since i put it on now that they are bigger it's been better. I think Chickens just naturally have to scratch their feed out of the pans? Or mine all seem to, but mine seem to clean it up quickly.

3. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    My chicks like to do this for a while too, what helped was to hang the feeder so they can just reach it when they are standing and then I put a pie plate under teh feeder to catch what they threw out. I didn't "reuse" the spilled food exactly, but it seemed to help them find it and eat it after they had removed all the food from the feeder. I also started putting in less food and refilling more often. [​IMG]

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They like to dig through it to find the "best" bits. They also like to scratch for their feed. I just let them bill it out and eat it off the floor of the brooder until its gone and then I refill the feeder. Just one of the reasons I don't use shavings in my brooder - it is much easier to see when the food has all been eaten if the floor is a towel.

5. zeus

zeus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    norfolk county
    Hi! ahhh,babies...mine did that all the time-they flung stuff everywhere...it's what they do..i dont know what else to tell ya-mine scratched and emptied their feed on a regular basis!!...it's a labor of love!..what we did do-when they are a little taller-we put their feeded on top of a brick-seemed to help a little...until they started flying and kept landing on top of it and knocking it over!Good luck!

6. Sugroxz

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    I've tried to put their feeders up on bricks and they still dig threw it.. Never thought about a pie pan before though.. Wouldn't they poo in it and things??? Or did you not have that issue? My Brooder has it where they are on wire and their dropping fall threw so when they dig it out they can't reach it any more and they just poo on it...

7. Sugroxz

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    Quote:Mine did that as well.. Knock it over on top of someone else and I was afraid someone was going to end up hurt.. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by