Question about chick raiser...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stanglover2001, Aug 4, 2010.

1. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Is there a chick starter in pellet form? there is a reason behind I ask, but I'll wait to explain until I get a good answer.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    No. Pellets are too large for baby chicks.

3. stanglover2001

Apr 29, 2010
    THANK YOU!!! MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! Sorry, I'm soo mad! Just came from TSC in Lenoir City and they're having chick days again this year, I walked by and what do I see? baby chicks chirping and running around, unable to eat the pellets they provided... and what else? With the pellets they didn't even provide grit, so what's the point? Poor things are probably hungry! So what do I do? I tell the 16 year old cashier, with the little attitude she had she said they have chick pellets [​IMG] .... Whatever, I would never do that to babies!! [​IMG] but she had an attitude, anyways just had to get it off my chest and tell somebody!

4. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Let the animal control folks in Lenoir City know about that situation.

5. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    First, are you SURE they were pellets and not starter? Regular chick starter can appear pretty large next to new peeps.

Second, I would speak to the manager before reporting them to animal control. I would not want to do anything to discourage a retailer from offering live chicks for sale when such problems could hopefully be corrected by a little education. Odds are good that the person in charge of the chicken display is not nearly as knowledgeable as most of us are.

I am on a gun board and I hear the same lamentations about the stupidity of most gun shop employees because God forbid, they are just working there for a living and are not gun experts.

Please let us know how things turn out.

6. stanglover2001

Apr 29, 2010
    Yes, I am absolutely sure... I'm still feeding some of mine starter crumbles, these were pellets. I def don't plan on calling animal control, the girl at the counter knew they were pellets and could care less, informing me that they had pellet form starter. AND, another woman that was looking at them was telling me she told someone about the pellets as well, and still noone did anything. They just obviously don't care. We called the Oak Ridge store and the guy told me they don't sell pellet starter. I wish I could have bought some but my husband would have killed me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by