Question about chicken breed...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CamsCluckinChicks, Sep 3, 2009.

1. CamsCluckinChicks

CamsCluckinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    Hi! I received my chickens - they are currently 72 days old (my 17 oldest - my 'babies' are only 23 days old - LOL). I had some substitutions - both of my Black Stars and 1 of my Silver Wyandotte's. I have figured everything out but one...I think she's an Australorp as she's looking more & more like my other, but she's 'behind' on the feather growth, etc.
    [​IMG] This was her a week or so ago.

[​IMG] This goofy one in front is her now at 72 days. She has the blueish legs my other Australorp, as well as the green sheen on her black back feathers (which thankfully have come in now!). Like I said, I believe she's an Australorp, but my hubby isn't convinced. All my chickens but three came from MyPetChicken...so there are only a couple things she can be...and she doesn't look like a Jersey Giant! LOL!

Any thoughts? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The one in the top pic- can't tell. The girl in fron of the second pic is a black star.

3. CamsCluckinChicks

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    I have found another pic of her...we call her Ducky because she was quite the "ugly duckling" in the beginning! LOL!
    [​IMG]

I thought Black Stars had yellow legs...? I'm new at this!! LOL!

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I don't see australorp, she looks nothing like mine. Mine are black australorps and they feathered all out very fast and only had black with some white feathers on them. Can't help any further then that though. [​IMG]

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Black star , she isn't a australorp~

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I agree - she's a black star. I've had both australorps & black sexlinks and she looks exactly like my black sexlinks (black stars). They were the ugliest chicks I had ever had - slow to feather and looked like little dinosaurs, but now they are very pretty. Their grown up picures are on my BYC page (the black star page).

7. CamsCluckinChicks

Jul 20, 2009
    Clunette
    Thank you!! You are ALL correct! LOL! BOTH of the pullets I was 'unsure' of are indeed Black Star's! Yay! That's what I ordered. [​IMG]

Sincerely, thank you. I'm SO new to this...exactly 72 days new to the whole chicken thing - and I'm already hooked!!

Only "Ducky" took forever to feather - "Aussie", who I now know is also a Black Star (but I'm keeping her name - she kinda comes to it, so yeah, LOL), feathered out normally - as in the same time as all the other chicks. So far my fav's are the Red Star's - they're SO sweet!! My Leghorn's are very skittish & don't like to be touched. I've had one of my Bantam Brahma's & one of Golden-Laced Wyandotte's 'bite' me, but all the other chickens pretty much put up with me. LOL! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by