question about chicken feet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by westernjack, Mar 6, 2009.

1. westernjack

westernjack New Egg

Mar 6, 2009
    This may sound like an odd question, but I was wondering if I could get a consensus about something in here from people who know about chickens. I'm having a discussion -- ok, you might call it an argument -- with some people regarding chicken feet and whether or not they are covered in scales. Now I insist that what's covering chicken feet is just skin...albeit tough skin...but it's skin none-the-less. Others claim that what covers chicken feet are actually scales, like what might be found on a reptile, like a dinosaur.

I'm not an expert on chickens but I have eaten KFC in the past, and I've never encountered scales on my chicken leg...granted, feet are not legs, so I would really appreciate some answers from people who know. Thanks, Jack

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

of course, someone with more chicken experience might have an opportunity to chime in here. When I check over my girls legs they DO have scales, however it's not like that which i have felt on a fish or other scaly critter.

4. westernjack

westernjack New Egg

Mar 6, 2009
    yea, it seems to me that the skin is "scaly" but not made of scales. Likewise human skin can become tough, fibrous and scaly but I wouldn't say we have scales.

I need as many responses as possible, as we've really got a good argument going on another forum. thanks.

5. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    I think their legs kind of feel like snakes scales. very smooth-like.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Whe they get scaley leg mites, the scales lift up and turn dark. I think they are more scale-like than skin-like. Maybe something in between? I guess it depends on the definition of scale.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    OK, I found this.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/eggs/res13-feet.html

It doesn't specifically say " the legs and feet have scales, however it does say, "In poultry literature, reference is made to booted and booting. This refers to feathering of the metatarsus rather then to a fusion of scales." Since it mentions that the feathering is not attached to the scales, I think it assumes the reader understands that the leg is covered in scales. It's from the University of Illinois Extension.

ETA: I also found this, but I don't know anything about the people that wrote it:

http://www.agednet.com/pt103v.shtml

They say chicken legs have scales.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

9. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Birds are close relatives of dinosaurs. Their legs (shanks and feet to be more exact) are covered with what I would deem scales. They are mostly smooth but when disease or parasites get them they lift up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by