Question about chickens with colored legs!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by calibersway, May 11, 2009.

1. calibersway

calibersway Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Roxboro North Carolina
    Okay so i have ended up with what were supposed to ameraucana's which apparently are not, as chicks they looked just like the ameraucana's, as well as now at 7 week old stage they look as they are supposed to (except one which i have no idea)...

But these as well as a few 'mystery' chicks of mine have the olivey/willow and or dark slate colored legs, and i was wondering what breeds have them. I've seen some ameraucana/americana/EE's that have them, some that dont, ect....

What breeds tend to have the colored legs like this?

BTW my camera is dead and i dont have any pictures, but I shall work on it.

AS WELL....My 4 'ameraucana' 's, one looks like a kid went and water colored all over it, it started out looking almost just like the other three, but the others have gotten the stanard crazy speckling going, and this one, well its got individual feathers that are a solid color but are made up of about 4-5 different very dilute watery colors, light blue, brown, lavander, white, someone told me lavander or split lavander, and i looked up pics of adults and chicks and i cant find any pics of 6-8 week olds like this one is (about 7 weeks now) and its driving me crazy!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    The lavanader chick pics i've seen are just that solid lavander colored, and this one wasn't....so i am confused....I got these chicks from a breeder at a market(swap/flea market/ect-whatever you want to call it lmfao...) , and I don't know how to contact them again to find out!!!!!!!

answers or ideas would be awesome. lol.
    much thanks in advance you guys.

OH and pictures of lavanders at that crazy stage 5 weeks-8 weeks, i would LOVE. or anyone with a similar sounding chicken. X.x

I dont breed except my silkies, the rest are pets/eggers so i don't really care, but just curiousity's sake.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Ameraucanas do not have olive/green legs. Wheatens and blue wheatens can appear to have that color when they are getting their pigment in, they are hatched with light pinkish legs.

All ameraucanas should have slate (blue) legs, except black birds can have black legs. They have four toes.

Lavender split chicks will be black chicks carrying the lavender gene, you cannot see it.

The only birds that have a pastel type thing going on would be blue wheaten cockerels.

You can pm me the breeders name if you would like and I can see if they are on the breeders list.

I would like to point out, that most birds from prominant breeders obtained from swaps or auctions are culls. In other words, birds they would never breed from because of obvious imperfections.

3. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

pips&peeps :

Ameraucanas do not have olive/green legs. Wheatens and blue wheatens can appear to have that color when they are getting their pigment in, they are hatched with light pinkish legs.

All ameraucanas should have slate (blue) legs

My question is about the green-legged thing..... My chicks are hatchery chicks but one of my ameraucana's has really pretty army green legs. Should they have slate legs. I have heard folks describe legs as willow, olive, slate, grey and many others.

Are my ameraucana's legs green because they are hatchery birds and obviously not show quality?​

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yes, they are green because they are of mixed descent. Your bird with the bright green legs is a mix of a bird with bright yellow legs (yellow skin) and a bird with slate legs (white skin).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by