Question about chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ThePigeonKid, May 24, 2010.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Songster

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    I want to get chickens this week (my birthday present). I had planned to keep them in a pen but I have read they like free range better. We have dogs but they are on chains. Do you think I could let them run free during the day?

2. auntie_mab

auntie_mab Hatching

May 24, 2010
    I would recommend it if you have the space. Something to keep in mind is that if you have trees, the birds may try to roost there overnight. Had to knock my birds down each night in the summer.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Of course they like free ranging better. Most dogs prefer not being fenced too. But is it always best??? Be sure to consider 1)which is safer 2)will they bother neighbors? A run is much safer than freeranging, even a run without a wire top, simply because there's a fence between predators and them (and it's not just your dogs that could be the problem). If you have neighbors around, the chickens will most likely find there way over there to dig around in their flower beds and poop in their yard. Will they be okay with that? Having said that, my girls do "freerange" on our fenced few acres when I'm home. They are put back into the run when I have to go somewhere. Most chickens love being able to wander, but be aware of the risks involved with freeranging...

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Songster

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Quote:We have ten acres in the country, so we don’t have to worry about neighbors and I will be with the chickens most of the time as well. A matter of fact, my grandfather lives down the road and he lets his chickens free range, (I just wanted to get some slightly more "professional" opinions).

I was reading a chicken book, and it said that all you need to keep chickens is a coop, a feeder, a waterer and feed.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well if you have all of that land, then I'd give it a try. But as I said earlier, don't be shocked if a few birds here and there disappear. I know that when I let my girls out, even though my property is fenced, that my risk of losing one is vastly greater than me keeping them in the run. If your property is not fenced, your risks are much higher. I do love watching my little flock walking about, visiting me on the porch, etc. I would still advise at least a basic run too though. There will probably be times when you will want to contain your birds for one reason or another. Happy Birthday to you, and congratulations on getting chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by