Question About Chicks and Coop Roosts

Mak

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Londonderry, NH
My girls (4 red sex links, 4 Dominiques and 2 WC Polish) are just about 5 weeks and feathered out. They are in the coop full time now since the brooder was getting pretty crowded and they were starting to peck at each other due to crowding, I'm sure. They do have a heat lamp in the coop in case we get a chilly night, but so far they've been fine. My question is about the roosts. I have read that you should put the chickens on the roosts if they don't find them by themselves so they get used to using them. Right now, they sleep on the floor. But the roosts look so high up for such little birds! I'm afraid they will hurt themselves getting off them in the morning. They have a ladder, but have no idea what it's for. Am I just being a worry wart? Will they be ok on the roosts at night, or should I let them sleep on the floor for now until they get bigger?

Personally, I leave the chickens to figger things out for themselves, and all of mine have managed to do so. As youngsters, they slept on the floor, together in a group (or even as a pile o' chickens). During the day, occasionally they would 'find' the roost bars and practice roosting on them. But for a few weeks, they still slept on the floor. I guess they needed practice to learn how to balance whilst asleep. Anyway, they eventually took to the roost bars at night.

Instinct kicks in. And I don't like to mess with the GOOD things about instinct.
idunno.gif

They will figure it out on their own, don't worry. I made roosts in my run out of Cherry wood, Fig wood and White Birch Limbs. When I trimmed my trees in the winter I saved out the straight ones that were thick enough to give good balance for the girls and used them.
It looks good and makes for conversation when folks see them. I'm all about bragging on my girls and their stuff when folks come around.
wink.png

I built a hen house for 220 RiR hens Cozy nest boxes nice little roosts I walked in the barn one day and all my birds were gone. I heard a faint chirp looked up and there they all were on the upper rafters. Point being when that time comes they will find there own way to whats safe for them.

Back
Top Bottom