Question about Chicks and Grit.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rugger0430, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Rugger0430

Rugger0430 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    My chicks will arrive in just a few days, and I was wondering if I should add the grit to there feed or just leave it in a small dish for them to have at?
    Everything else I'm sure of, it was just this one issue.

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

You only need to give grit if they are eating something other than the chick starter.....once you start giving them treats then they need the grit and you can do it either way...sprinkle on their feed or offer it separately.....hope this helps by the way [​IMG]

3. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    It depends on what your chicks are going to be eating. If they're just getting commercial rations, then they don't need grit. But if they're getting table scraps, etc. then they need grit as it's the only "teeth" they've got. If they do need grit, then it should be supplied free choice - and if you just put it in a bowl they'll probably get it all dirty, so you might want to hang a little feeder somewhere. There's a short blog on young chick care if you're interested at: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/06/27/young-chick-care/ Hope this answers your question.

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Even though it isn't necessary if they are only eating chick crumbles, my baby chicks were CRAZY about sand. It was the only treat they would eat for the longest time, which was probably good as they should only get chick feed for quite a while. They would hop in my hand and scratch the sand and it was the cutest thing.I usually gave it to them in a big plastic lid and they would all try to peck and scratch. Ah the good old days, sigh. [​IMG]

5. Rugger0430

Rugger0430 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks for the Response's, I have to say I love this sight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by