Question about chicks during winter months

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FarmerWife, Jan 3, 2015.

1. FarmerWife

FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Good morning everyone.
    I have seven baby chicks that were hatched a month ago, they have almost all feathers now, and I've been keeping them inside. For those who are experienced with hatching during winter, when is it safe for them to go outside?This is our first time hatching eggs, so it's totally new to us. I don't want to take them out and have them die from the cold. It's been in the 30's and 40's here during the day. Night temps are in the mid to low 20's. When we buy chicks, I like to introduce the newbies slowly, I put them in a little pen where the other chickens free range. Covered of course. We have a new batch about to hatch in a few days, and I need to make room for them if possible. But I won't take the others out unless it's safe. Any advice? Thanks in advance. hope everyone has a great day!

Dianna

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Where outside will you be moving the 4-week olds? Is it a large coop with enough space to rig up a small pen with a 100 watt incandescent bulb for heat? They will need both transitional heat as well as protection from adult chickens if there are any.

3. FarmerWife

FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi,
    We made room for them out in our shed and set up the heat lamp in there, this way they'll have more room to move around and be warm also. I won't be putting them with the adult chickens yet, I usually put them in a pen where they can be around them, but are protected from them until the adults get used to having them around, usually I do that for around two weeks, or so. But I won't be doing that yet, not until they are a little older. Still too cold outside also. By the time they're ready to go out there it will be warming up hopefully. If not, then I'll just put them out during the warmer hours and take them back to the shed in the evenings so they'll stay warm at night. With a new batch coming in a couple of days there will be no room inside the house for both batches. Hubby is outside getting the heat lamp connected and hanging it as I type. They'll also be safe from predators, cats, dogs, etc. The door will be latched. Thanks for the reply! Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,
    Dianna

4. RobnCj13

RobnCj13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    We are dealing with the same temps here. We have 10 chickens in our house that are 3 months old. Any thoughts on when to put them with the other 5 chickens in our pole barn? We do not use a heat source out there...the fear of fire! We have a coop built out there that has been staying around 30 degrees the last couple weeks.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Three months is old enough to handle 30 degree nights, especially since they'll huddle close for warmth. What I would do is watch the weather and choose a mild spell during which to move them into your barn. That way, they can ease naturally into outdoor living.

People don't give chickens enough credit for being able to adapt quickly and well to even the lowest temps. Lately, my flock has had to endure weeks of sub-zero temperatures. It's been extremely unpleasant for them as well as me, but they've survived magnificently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by