question about chicks eye

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nancylee, Oct 25, 2009.

1. nancylee

nancylee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    Hi everyone
    My chick pip last night. (my first one ever) Today it has a good size hole, where I can see right in. so cool. The chick looks dry and stuck. The eyes are also closed. Are the eyes supposed to be open. He is peeping alot and loud. I am just worried his eyes should be open.
    Thanks
    Nancy

2. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    hows your humidity

3. nancylee

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    Its about 80

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    If the chick has the strength to move at all or to peep, I would hold off on assisting him as long as possible. You don't know if he absorbed all the blood vessels yet. Its not nice to see all that wasted blood afterwards and wonder if you should have left them alone.
    When you lose almost all hope of him surviving, thats another story. If he remains dry and with eyes closed, for a dangerous amount of time, I would open the incubator and bring him to a very warm location and assist with a warm, wet towel and very gentle fingers; and then return him to the incubator ASAP. You don't even need to completely finish helping him in most cases. Just give a jump start. That being said, I hold off on that procedure as long as possible. It is not uncommon for a baby to take a whole day to hatch, and to take a lot of breaks. Its hard work.
    I have taken babies and saved them and have lost them too. Fortunately most of them come out on their own.

5. nancylee

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    Thanks
    The chick has been going strong with 5 minute breaks once in a while. We are all taking turns watching it. It seems desperate to get out. I am just worried it may not be time if the eyes are still closed, or could this be maybe they are just dried shut.
    One foot is over the chicks head. Poor think does not look comfortable.

6. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    You were probably born with your eyes closed and your feet all tangled up too. If its fighting......good. Be content that he is strong and go fold a batch of clothes or something. You can go nuts just waiting for a chick to come out. He sounds like he is doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by