1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about chicks going outside....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TwoCrows, Apr 1, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My 4 Black Australorp chicks are 3 1/2 week old today and it is going to be a sunny day with temps in the low 70's. I fenced off a small area in their run so that they will have protection and can be easily caught. I will be there to supervise the entire time.

They have never been outside yet, so my question is how long can I leave them outside without too much stress on them for their first "field trip"?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If they had been brooded naturally by a hen, she'd have them out for a walk on a day like that.

3. Donna5

Donna5 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    Fred Hen's. Thanks:) for making feel comfy putting these birds out as soon as the coop is done in a few days. It's still kind of cold...mid 40's day and 35 at night here in Northern Ill. anyway...just like I harden off my seedlings before planting, should I harden off the chicks by putting them on the back deck for a little at a time, where they can get sun and feel the air before sending them off to the big house? I keep thinking they will be kind of stressed since they have been raised in my sewing room!!

4. h8snags

h8snags Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    Mine are 4 weeks old today, I took them out to hunt for bugs and scratch around yesterday, they LOVED it! My Buff Oprington laid out on the grass with her legs outstretched, like she's trying to catch all the vitamin D she possibly could! SOOO cute! I say go for it! They'll love you!!
    I plan on doing it again today! I don't have my run or coop built.. but we are working on it, LOL!

5. Donna5

Donna5 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    weren't you afraid they would wander off? How do you keep them together, my yard is not fenced. After chick recess (in my sewing room) and it's time to get back in the kennel they scatter!

6. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    I was with my son, we kept a pretty good eye on them. We don't have a fenced yard either. We only had 2 out at a time, so if something did happen we could grab them pretty quick, they were no more than a foot away from me! We also only took out the ones that like to be held.. the other girls who I think would fly or run away aren't lucky enough to go outside yet until we get a pen! It's funny, the two girls just hung out together!
    We have chick recess too, in my kitchen, I let them run around for a while, then they go back into their box on their own, and I lock it back up. If I have to get going before they are done running around, I "herd" them back! So funny! Here's a link to our brooder we built, sure is handy! https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=80727-our-brooder
    I
    am not sure about your chickies, but maybe just start with one at a time, one who doesn't mind being held or picked up, and see what she does! [​IMG]

7. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    h8snags
    What were the temps like?

8. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    It was about 70 degrees, felt alot warmer though! The chickies acted like they were almost melting in the sun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by