Question about chicks new to coop and heater

Armymomx3

Chirping
Oct 22, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains
Hi... new chick mom here. I have 6 8 week old chicks. My new coop was just completed (yeah!) so they received an eviction notice from the brooder and have been moved to the coop.

We have been having great spring weather but are expecting a late spring storm with snow and below freezing temps at the end of the week. I have a brooder heater that I used (from Tractor Supply) and it also doubles as a coop heater (200 watt). I plugged it in to test it in case it was needed later this week. The directions show it placed directly on the coop floor with shavings. The heater is HOT to the touch and I am so unsure if this is safe. I know it says its a radiant heat, but my brain keeps thinking this might not be safe.

Would love some feedback and advice... also, being 8 weeks old, do they need additional heat at this age wit? should be around 30 degrees. And, I have a late bloomer so I worry about her as she is small and just getting her feathers.

Generally I'd say if they've been off heat this entire time (the last few weeks) then they won't need the extra heat. But because you have a runt that isn't feathered out, it may be safer to bring them all inside, or at least the runt.

Back
Top Bottom