question about chicks sneezing

realsis

Crazy for Silkies
11 Years
Jan 17, 2013
California
My 8 week old and 6 week old chicks are sneezing. Not all the time but every so often. they are both active bright eyed and no mucus is present. I haven't heard any wheezing or anything like that. They are inside right now in their own room in a HUGE watermelon box. Their box is clean their food and water are kept up off the shavings and water is changed twice a day. They are acting normal and active. Should I be concerned? Thanks for your help. They are shedding their baby feathers right now and I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it. I try to pick up all the feathers they shed but I know their is dust I can't see that goes along with that. Do you think that's the issue or do you think I've got a bigger problem? I have some tylamox powder (mix of tylan and amoxicillian) but I'm hesitant to use
it if its not necessary. Like I said they are active and seem well except for occasional sneezing by both of them. Any advice is apperceiated. Thanks.

I wouldn't say limited coughing/sneezing as you describe is a cause for concern at this stage as they seem active and healthy. Providing your not seeing the gasping at all and the poos look normal I think its worth monitoring but I don't think it should be to much of a concern.

Thank you so much. Yes poo is normal and healthy and firm. No gasping Thank God and no coughing at all what so ever. Just some sneezing here and their. I did notice my youngest is loosing her baby feathers a LOT right now and I'm seeing a LOT of those little clear shafts from new feathers coming in. I'm wondering if the dander might be causing it. they are really really active scratching and playing but every now and again both will give out a little sneeze.
It made me worry.

If you have not given them anything already some multi vitamins in the water wouldn't go a miss as you probably know the body is putting extra into producing the new feathers and can be a time where they are more susceptible to things so some vitamins are a good boost during this time.

All the best.
AP

Back
Top Bottom