Question about chicks with respiratory disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KLH2010, May 23, 2008.

1. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I recently got four white leghorn chicks. When I first got them they had some bloody feces and at least three of the four had respiratory congestion-raspy breathing and drainage. I didn't know this until after I got them home of course. It has been over a week now and the bloody feces has cleared up completely but two of the chicks still have raspy breathing. They are on medicated feed now-I don't think they were before. My question is can they be safely introduced to my other chickens later on if they all survive or will this be a chronic/contagious situation? I don't want to risk getting my other chickens sick. Thanks!

2. lovethechickens

lovethechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Antioch California
    Never. Once a chicken has had something like that, It GENERALLY spreads everywhere. If its something like infectious bronchitis, you can even transmit it to your other chickens on your shoes, hands, clothing etc.

3. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I was thinking that is probably the case. I have kept them separated from everything else and try to wash my hands and stuff I'm carrying so hopefully that will help. What do other people do with sick chicks?

4. lovethechickens

lovethechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Antioch California
    Well, you are SUPPOSED to let the state vet check them out. If he finds something like IB or something highly contagious, chances are for the good of the rest of society, your birds would be killed. Possibly they would want to "investigate all your other birds" and might or might not end up putting them all down. What I would do, is if they are your pets, keep them all together, but dont ever get another chicken, or visit anyone elses. They can live pretty good lives but when they get stressed, symptoms may re surface. Its not that big of a deal for alot of people, but some people would cull them all, disinfect, wait a couple of months, and start all over.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by