Question about Chocolate egg laying breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by iajewel, Jan 11, 2011.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I want to add some really dark chocolate egg layers to my flock I have heard that the Marans don't really lay well. I want a breed that is fairly productive, hardy and stands cold weather. Any ideas about what breed may suit my needs best?

2. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    The cuckoos I have lay well but the eggs are more terra cotta color than chocolate. In general breeds that tend toward broodiness will never be called "excellent" producers, just good. While they are at it mine lay 5 or 6 per bird per week. The eggs are smaller than the ones I get from production reds or Australorps. The Marans hen I have that raised a chick has been my steadiest layer this winter.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cuckoo Marans lay poor color because they're hatchery quality, bred only for production. [​IMG]

True, well bred French Marans (black copper, wheaten, blue wheaten, blue copper, etc) lay some VERY dark, gorgeous eggs, however production is indeed varying. Research the breed. Some breeders have birds that don't lay much, some lay pretty well.

My Black Copper Marans for example, though they lay very dark eggs, are actually my most dependable layers of all my breeds, putting my hatchery layers aside. My Wheaten Marans are pretty good too, but not quite as productive.

I get about 6 eggs a week from a Black Copper hen, and their breaks during winter don't last long at all out here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Not all cuckoos lay poorly colored eggs nor are they all from a hatchery. I had a strain that laid nice dark eggs...they came from a breeder that is now deceased.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    And I've seen the eggs from them too. [​IMG] My point is, MOST Cuckoos do, because most Cuckoos are indeed from hatcheries, since that's all hatcheries offer with Marans. (although sadly now some of them offer Black Coppers for ridiculous prices, but through the years it has originally always been the Cuckoos)

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I also had some very nice dark laying cuckoos. I sold them to a neighbor, and they are still laying very nice dark eggs. Really gorgeous birds too, big and hefty. And no, they did not come from a hatchery.

7. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    My Black Copper Marans lay nice jumbo eggs, 4-5 each per week. The color varies, during different seasons, but have gotten lots of very dark chocolate eggs!

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I want to add some really dark chocolate egg layers to my flock

The best breed for dark chocolate egg's is the Cadbury bunny. [​IMG]
    I am sorry I had to say it... [​IMG]

Chris​

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:The best breed for dark chocolate egg's is the Cadbury bunny. [​IMG]
    I am sorry I had to say it... [​IMG]