question about chukar

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by schoebel_taylor, Oct 3, 2009.

1. schoebel_taylor

schoebel_taylor Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    I was just wondering what a person feeds chukars. I wasnt sure if you would feed them gamebird food or if there was a special kind of food. thanks for any help. [​IMG]

2. poultrylady

poultrylady Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    I feed mine Purina gamebird. They do great on it.

3. jjchick

jjchick In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec,Canada
    Purina gamebird?? I can't find any gamebird grain around here. I was wondering what to give my chukars for the winter. Roght now the are getting turkey grower. Can anyone post the contents and % of there gamebird feed so I can see what I need to change. I am in Quebec and our winters are somewhat cold.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    gamebird isn't a grain it is a pellet or mash or crumble or (depends on where you live exactly what they will call it) it is a processed feed...

it usaully runs around 24% protein for me aorund here...the chick stuff is like 28%...come to think on it...I think it is a little lower

that turkey grower should work..about the same requirements...for cold you want more carbs or fat for warmth...protein is for growth...I know folks are about to say i am wrong.. [​IMG] silly me wasting that animal science degree

5. Kullas

Kullas Crowing

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
  6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THATS ABOUT RIGHT... VARIES FROM 1 MANUFACTURERS FORMULA TO THE NEXT.... PURINA STARTRENA (THEIR GAME BIRD STARTER) IS 30% I FEED ALL MY QUAIL (LIFE TIME) AND PHEASANTS(1ST YEAR) AND CHUKAR (1ST YR) THAT. THE OLDER BREEDERS GET THE PURINA GAMEBIRD CONDITIONER AFTER THE 1ST YR ITS 26%. I BUMP THE BREEDERS BACK UP TO STARTER JUST BEFORE LAYING SEASON... IT SEEMS TO HELP WITH EGG PRODUCTION.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: