Question about cocci

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mithious, Aug 14, 2013.

  1. mithious

    mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

    My birds are on day4 after treating for cocci. yesterday it rained and is only 53 degrees right now. Mean Tar Paper Man has decided he NEEDS to get the rest of the coop done, roosts, poop boards, ect done ASAP, and the ground is still wet. It's about 8:30 am...can I let the birds out on wet ground? When it's still cool? I am thinking I need to retreat in a week and a half...don't think they have totally beat this cocci yet, or built a resistance yet...

    Need the stuff done, as he won't be back, won't let ME use the power tools, have none of my own...do I risk it and let the birds out? Or do I wait and let the ground dry up a little more? It really poured and their run is pretty muddy...all but the few spots of grass they left...I can not get them in, nor catch them myself, he won't help, so they would be out till they go in, probably at dusk...

    What do you all think?

    Thanks for any answers!!!
     
  2. Thespoiledchicken

    Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,553
    152
    188
    Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    What did you treat them with? Sulmet? Corrid?

    How old are they and what are they eating?

    I would let them out and be sure to follow the treatment plan of whatever med you chose. Also, if they are young and still on crumbles I would make sure the crumbles are medicated.

    I don't normally use medicated crumbles but if I have to treat a group for cocci I will treat with Corrid and then follow up with medicated crumbles for a few weeks. I find Corrid works very well for cocci and is gentle on the bird compared to Sulmet.

    Good Luck!
     
  3. Fancychooklady

    Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

    9,989
    2,005
    381
    Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    The label on the amprolium I have says , to allow the correct development of immunity some exposure to coccidia is required. Treatment should be 5-7 days and then a further 5-7 days at half strength , followed by another 5-7 days at 1/2 that again. This gradual reduction in the level of treatment assists birds to develop immunity while maintaining some level of protection.
     
  4. mithious

    mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

    I did a 7 day course of treatment, they are off it 4 days now. The run is all mud. They are ablout 2 months. Were VERY sick, still think I am going to need to retreat in a week and a half. They are on the starter grower, non medicated. Can't get the medicated in time before he leaves on me for Bostson, around noon. I used Corid.

    Really need the roosts and poop board though...but he won't work and probably shouldn't work in the coop with the birds in there. Just need to know if they are going to get sick again if I let them out in a muddy run. Didn't let them out yesterday as it poured here. Thanks again ofr any suggestions
     
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. mithious

    mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

    So according to label, they have not yet built an immunity! So they COULD get sick again, 4 days off the 7 days treatment, if let out in the muddy run...great..what an idiot he is..he had the day before the rain to finish and disappeared on me...now, he wants the birds out, to finish the project, roosts and poop boards...wonderful!!!

    Thank you so much for that info...

    So would any of you chance it? If I don't, I will have no roosts for them or poop board as he says today he is done with this project,and headed back to Boston, for a bit...ARRRGGG dang it!!!

    Would any of you chance it? If they get sick again, can I retreat earlier? Has anyone done that? If so, what were the results? Thanks again everyone...quite the dilemma I have right now...
     
  6. ten chicks

    ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,290
    285
    208
    May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You can let them out,i would. There are 9 stains,so an outbreak can happen at anytime from any strain. Incubation period for Cocci is approx 2-4 days depending on strain. IF they were to have another outbreak,you are now familiar with symptoms and know what to do.
     
  7. Fancychooklady

    Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

    9,989
    2,005
    381
    Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    "To allow the correct development of immunity some exposure to coccidia is required ". When I treated mine, I didn't lock them up. Just let them go about their business .
     
  8. Thespoiledchicken

    Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,553
    152
    188
    Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Corrid is amprolium and amprolium is what they put in medicated chick feed.

    I would definitely let them out and if it were me I would dose them starting today with 1/2 the treatment dose in their water. Do that for a week and see how it goes. Corrid is VERY safe and you should have no worries about using it. It works by blocking thiamine uptake making it a hostile environment for cocci to survive in.

    If you continue to use Corrid in small doses it is no different than giving them medicated chick feed [​IMG]
     
  9. mithious

    mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

    Thank you all for your advice. HUGE help and has me feeling much better about getting them out, getting the work done, and will treat at 1/4th tsp, for atleast today, and maybe longer? I'll probably run into town...a 25 mile drive for me,one way, tomorrow and pick up a bag of medicated feed, as I am running low anyways and put them back on it. Save the last of this unmedicated, for when I have to retreat in a week and a half...oh, and I won't double dose..will not give corid and medicated...I have learned that [​IMG]

    Thanks again, you guys have been hugely helpful!!!
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by