Question about cochins...does anyone else's bite?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicken_china_mom, Jun 19, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    When I was first choosing what birds to get, I had several people tell me to get cochins cause they are super sweet and docile, and a good choice for kids that are just getting into chickens. So, I ordered mostly cochins, and overall, I do love them. But when my babies were little and still in the brooder, and I would put my hand in there to change food or water, or scoop someone up, etc, a couple of them would bite me! Not a peck, but an actual bite. It really didn't hurt, but it sure startled me. My Wyandottes and Silkies didn't do it, just the cochins. So I handled them more, thinking it would help, and for the most part it did knock it out of all but 3. They are now 10 weeks old and still, if I put my hand down near 3 of them, they lunge at my hand and try to bite. These are pullets doing it now, but I did have a roo that was doing it too. Now, I have 3 frizzled cochin chicks in the brooder in my bathroom along with some bantam buff orpingtons, a dark brahma, and RIR chicks, and all are gentle and sweet as can be, except those frizzles! Two of the three have tried to bite me. These came from a different hatchery, and I'm wondering, is it a hatchery thing? Or just something about cochins? Or maybe something else? I love them anyway. I have one cochin hen that is becoming my best little chicken friend. She is smart, sweet, and comes when you call her name. She will come sit with me and is just so good natured. I have another cochin pullet named Peanut that I love. She flies up onto my lap and snuggles down in my arms and pecks at my arms until I wrap them around her and hold her close. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience with cochins, or maybe with another breed? I still love cochins, and am glad I got them. They really are good birds overall, and my younger daughter adores them. I know I will get more in the future cause I do like them. Just wondering if this is a difference between hatchery raised and home bred. Thanks to anyone that has info on this and answers.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I have Speckled Cochin (Bantams) and the roo is downright feisty!

The hens are a bit better, especially when the roo is not around, but of the 1/2 dozen breed that I have, they are by far the least friendly.

But, they are sooo darned cute, I am overlooking thier bad behavior...*wink*

3. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I have a few bantam Cochins. They are some of the most docile, sweet chickens that I have. They do not run from me and actually walk up to me and stand around like they are waiting for a treat or to be picked up. I guess this varies with the individual chicken, but mine are very sweet and tame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: