Question about Cockerel

FBMcrazy8

Free Ranging
Jun 4, 2022
So, I let my chickens out this morning, and 2 of the girls went out of them coop. Now yesterday the cockerel went out first and you could tell he was checking things out. He looked everywhere. He then just went about his business and the hens went out. Today though after the 2 girls went out, he followed and just went to one of them and grabbed their neck feathers and started like “yelling” at them. He did it to both of them. So at first I thought he was just doing “his job”. But as the others came out, he kept at it. There was only a couple he didn’t do it to, my French Black Maran, the 2 brown leghorns, and the RIR or New Hampshire Red (which ever one she is). I’m not sure if he is just trying to challenge them or what. Or maybe because there isn’t another male he is doing what he normally would with another male? 🤷‍♀️ There is plenty of room in the coop and run. I have plenty for them to do in there.

Anyone got anything for what he is doing? And or what can I do?? Btw they are all 8 weeks. I don’t see this being a mating thing, but maybe he is developing early?? 🤷‍♀️ He has been crowing since like 5 weeks. I honestly have no idea, just trying to give all the info I can to maybe help. At least what I can think of.

It sounds like he’s trying to mate but they’re too young? It’s also a pecking order thing. I have my own hypothesis about roosters. My limited experience is that the cockerel that came with my first flock of pullets was the same age as the girlies. He was mean to them and mean to humans. 3 years later he had passed and I replaced him with a 10 month old cockerel. He never had the chance to be mean to the older hens! One false movement from him and those ladies turned on him! He would run away like a “chicken”!😆 Those matrons of the flock taught him manners. He learned to dance politely for their attentions. He has never attacked a human either. He has fathered many offspring now. He keeps protective watch over his ladies. He breaks up hen fights. He’s a good rooster. I believe a young cockerel needs to be schooled by older hens. I could be wrong but that’s my experience.

It sounds like he’s trying to mate but they’re too young? It’s also a pecking order thing. I have my own hypothesis about roosters. My limited experience is that the cockerel that came with my first flock of pullets was the same age as the girlies. He was mean to them and mean to humans. 3 years later he had passed and I replaced him with a 10 month old cockerel. He never had the chance to be mean to the older hens! One false movement from him and those ladies turned on him! He would run away like a “chicken”!😆 Those matrons of the flock taught him manners. He learned to dance politely for their attentions. He has never attacked a human either. He has fathered many offspring now. He keeps protective watch over his ladies. He breaks up hen fights. He’s a good rooster. I believe a young cockerel needs to be schooled by older hens. I could be wrong but that’s my experience.
And he does protect them already. My husband was running the weed eater by their run yesterday and the girls ran under the run and he clucked himself closer to my husband. He also went talons first at a little bird that landed next to the run fence. But this is all kinda new. I really thought for sure I would have ended up with 3 boys when I ordered the 15 of them and ended up with 18. But he is the only one. I would have loved to of only had hens but there he is. He doesn’t attach us yet and isn’t aggressive towards us yet. And I do know that can change.

I agree, I just realized yesterday my 21-week Blue Ameraucana is a roo. He never crowed that I knew of. He only hangs out with the Salmon Fav pullet, his shipping mate and the 14-week-old EE pullet. He pecks at them a bit. My older gals run the show in my back yard.
Mine is a Splash Ameraucana. He was shipped with all of them. Even though I ordered females, I knew that I could have gotten males. I was expecting 3 but luckily only 1.

Last edited:
8 weeks is really young but I think you have an early developer. Some hormones are already flowing. 5 weeks is early to crow too.

I agree, I don't see that as mating behavior. That's dominance behavior. He's basically disciplining them. He is letting them know that he is the flock master, they are not. The girls may not accept that yet, they are still really immature themselves. Maybe they don't want to be dominated or want to be the dominant one themseoves. Flock dynamics and social behaviors are complex but when they mature you have an idea how it will probably work out. In puberty things are a lot less certain and these aren't at puberty yet.

Some chicks have sexual differences at hatch. Not all for sure but some. Boys often are the bold curious chicks. They come out to meet you and see what is going on so they are the ones that have personality, the ones that charm you at the feed store if you are picking out chicks. The girls tend to stay in the back, away from you. His behavior is kind of extreme but I don't see it as especially threatening.

This only happened once and no one was injured. Keep an eye on it but I would not be worried yet.

And he does protect them already. My husband was running the weed eater by their run yesterday and the girls ran under the run and he clucked himself closer to my husband. He also went talons first at a little bird that landed next to the run fence. But this is all kinda new. I really thought for sure I would have ended up with 3 boys when I ordered the 15 of them and ended up with 18. But he is the only one. I would have loved to of only had hens but there he is. He doesn’t attach us yet and isn’t aggressive towards us yet. And I do know that can change.
He’s young so don’t give up on him yet. When you get a good rooster they are a joy. Give him some time.

8 weeks is really young but I think you have an early developer. Some hormones are already flowing. 5 weeks is early to crow too.

I agree, I don't see that as mating behavior. That's dominance behavior. He's basically disciplining them. He is letting them know that he is the flock master, they are not. The girls may not accept that yet, they are still really immature themselves. Maybe they don't want to be dominated or want to be the dominant one themseoves. Flock dynamics and social behaviors are complex but when they mature you have an idea how it will probably work out. In puberty things are a lot less certain and these aren't at puberty yet.

Some chicks have sexual differences at hatch. Not all for sure but some. Boys often are the bold curious chicks. They come out to meet you and see what is going on so they are the ones that have personality, the ones that charm you at the feed store if you are picking out chicks. The girls tend to stay in the back, away from you. His behavior is kind of extreme but I don't see it as especially threatening.

This only happened once and no one was injured. Keep an eye on it but I would not be worried yet.
He kind of did it last night. BUT it wasn’t as bad. AND my daughter and I were putting up a net over the run. I really thought it had something to do with that. I have been out off and on today and didn’t notice anything.

I honestly wasn’t expecting him to crow early either. In fact the day before I made a comment on here on one of my threads asking if anyone else thought he was a cockerel. Next day he is crowing. It’s only in the mornings but crowing none the less. Actually now that I think about it I have a thread for him crowing by himself too.

He’s young so don’t give up on him yet. When you get a good rooster they are a joy. Give him some time.
Oh I’m not planning on getting rid of him. I know they go through a hormonal thing, but I just really thought it was WAY to early for him. As long as he doesn’t go all crazy on us, I can separate him from the girls if it gets too bad

Back
Top Bottom