1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUESTION ABOUT COLD

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Baizer84, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Baizer84

Baizer84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    It is supposed to get down in the mid-twenties here tonight. My 1-month old chicks are outside in a coop. All of the openings are covered with a blue tarp and I currently have 4 250 watt heat lamps going inside. It is 8x4x5. Surely they will be warm enough, right? My dad says that they won't freeze if they get cold but may just not gain weight for a few days but he is an ag teacher and his knowledge is related to Cornish crosses. Thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that your Dad is correct, but for peace of mind go out and check on them before you go to bed.

3. littlesparrow11

littlesparrow11 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Vermont
    I think they should be okay- they've got a decent amount of feathers at this point, right? Have you put a thermometer inside your coop so you can check on the temp?

1 person likes this.
  4. Baizer84

Baizer84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    Yes, aside from their heads they are heavily feathered. I have an old mama hen in there with them and they are all cuddling up to her at times. On a 50 degree day yesterday, it was 90' in the coop. I will check on them tonight and first thing in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by