Question about collecting eggs for broody hen

rainierlass

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Eatonville,WA
I have a broody BLRW hen and would like to collect eggs from a few of my other hens to put under her......my question is where do I keep the eggs until I have the amount of eggs I would like to have her hatch? In the refrigerator or room temp? I did a search and did not find the answer.....

Thanks to any of you that have done this and have any answers for me!

JEB NC 10

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Room temp! Placing the eggs in the refrigerator will cool them down too much which essentially prevents fertilized eggs from any further development.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I agree room temp. Also, I don't know how important this is, but I treat eggs to go under a broody the same way I would eggs to be artificially incubated - no washing, so no using very dirty eggs to start with. Also, I put them in an egg carton and tilt the carton several times a day.

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
I think the best answer is something like 50 degrees -- but who has that around the house ny more?

I've read that some do keep them in the refrig, just a warmer section of it. I just keep mine on the kitchen counter, up to a week, usually turning once or twice a day. Good fertility with this so far (I haven't done a lot of this.)

rainierlass

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Eatonville,WA
THANKS to all of you for the quick replies!

Okay - will keep them in a carton on the counter.....I should have enough eggs in a couple of days.....I know this sounds like a stupid question but about the turning...put them in the carton big end up? .....do I just flip the entire carton over a couple of a times a day? Or is there a secret to turning eggs that I need to know? Obviously this is my first time to put eggs under a broody huh?

Oh and 50F is pretty much our outside temp right now!

Gotta love late May in the PNW!! GRRRR! or is that BRRRRR????

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Quote:What I was taught by a hatchaholic - big end up. I find something a couple of inches high to use to tilt the carton. For some reason a roll of duct tape always happens to be handy. I stick the roll under one end of the carton and then swap it to the other end in the evening.

Top Bottom