Question about comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mypetsrchickens, Feb 8, 2017.

1. mypetsrchickens

mypetsrchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    This may not be the right place to ask this question but I wasn't sure where the appropriate place was. If this needs to be moved please do so.

I am being given a rooster that appears to be a barnyard mix. His upper body is white, his hackle feathers were green or brown, and his tail feathers were green or brown. I can't recall at this time which one was which color. Anyway, he had a pea comb or at least what my newbie chicken owner eye thought was a pea comb. My question is does this mean he also carries the blue egg gene? I had heard those 2 sometimes go hand in hand but again, I'm new at all of this. I am hoping he'll mate with our hens and provide me with some fertile eggs. I would love to have some olive eggers or even blue egg layers. I have 2 EE's, one lays a green egg and one lays a light blue egg. I can post a picture of him later once I can take one. I haven't picked him up yet but am getting him after work today.

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    From what I've heard & read pea comb gene and the gene for blue eggs are often (but not always) passed on together. In theory, that would mean, that if you have an araucana/ameraucana descendant with a pea comb, it's more likely that it lays green/blue eggs. However, many other breeds also have pea combs and don't lay blue/green eggs. So, if your roo got his pea comb from, let's say wyandottes, then he couldn't get the blue eggs gene with it, simply because the wyandottes don't have it. If he has some, araucana ancestors for example, then there's a chance he got the blue eggs genes along with the pea comb.

So in short: the comb itself doesn't tell you much, but in connection with the roosters family tree you could assume whether or not it's likely that he carries the blue egg gene.

3. mypetsrchickens

mypetsrchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    North Carolina
    Just from looking at him he looks like an EE but again, I'm new to chickens so I could be really off on that one. I'll take a picture of him when I get him home and post it so people can weigh in on his possible background.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by