Question about combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickfan, Jul 22, 2010.

1. chickfan

chickfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I have a couple of absolutely beautiful leghorns with huge, bright red combs and wattles. (Maybe they all have this....?). I noticed yesterday that on the back end of the combs, the area looked grayish. They look better today. Does this indicate a possible problem? I wonder if the heat might have something to do with it.
    Thanks.

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Hmmm..I know some people put vaseline on combs to prevent frostbite in winter but I don't know about the heat??

3. chickfan

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    It was just the strangest looking thing. I thought there might be something that I had never heard about that could be wrong. The chickens are hot, but have access to lots of shade and lots of water, and I don't know what else to do for them. It scared me to see those combs looking so strange, because I have just been fascinated with how big and pretty and bright red they are.
    I know if there is an answer, someone on this board will know!
    Thanks for your reply!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It may be nothing at all. The heat could be a factor but I recommend to just observe the combs for major changes. If they are eating and drinking normally, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

5. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I agree with Dawg53, if that's their only symptom, they're probably just fine. I had some hens with a similar problem that turned out to just have a topical fungus on their comb. I treated it with some rubbing alcohol for a few days and it disappeared.

6. chickfan

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Thank you for these replies! I feel a lot better about it now. I just didn't want something to sneak up on me that I hadn't heard about.

7. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a couple of roos whose combs do that, too. One morning I went into the pen, both combs were bluish on the ends. I went in in the afternoon and they were bright red again.

I have not come up with a reason why, but I have been noticing it for the past couple years, and it happens on different roos. I haven't had any die on me, so I guess they are all right.

Angie

8. chickfan

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Thanks Angie. I guess there is always something new to learn about our little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by