Question about commercial chicken farm ( if you know the answer)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jacobhawaiifarm, Jun 14, 2016.

1. jacobhawaiifarm

jacobhawaiifarm Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Honolulu hawaii
    Question folks...just curious since i get many different information
    about commercial chicken farm.

not vaccines...but does anyone know if these commercial chicken farm
    uses antibiotics shots in all store bought chickens?

some people say they do...some say they don't.

I know from reading online---using growth hormone in chickens are illegal in the united states
    but it doesn't mention about using antibiotics.

ALSO

If they do use anitibiotics....do they use human antibiotics?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'm not aware of any hatcheries that would routinely inject antibiotics into sale chicks, and it sounds very strange to me. You would want to talk directly to the hatchery in question to get an answer. Mary

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    You're talking about meat chicken you buy at the grocery store? It used to be mixed into feed for some livestock but has stopped by many, maybe most, producers. I know Tyson and perdue don't use it. You'd have to check each "brand".

Generally speaking, there's no difference between human or animal antibiotics. This is one way that resistant bacteria have been able to evolve (along with the over use of antibacterials).

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Large scale meat production farms medicate their chicks and very young birds. They have to because of the cramped and unsanitary conditions they are kept in. The antibiotics have a time that they are active in the system after dosing at any point. Once medications have been terminated there is a wait time for the medications to be purged from the tissues. Only after that point are the birds slaughtered to eat.

You can buy meat from chickens that have a better life, are not crowded and not medicated. Raised humanely and organically.

5. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    +1

Usually, the only difference between animal and human antibiotics are the name and price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by