Question about compact florescent bulbs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I was wondering if they heat for incubating or not. I have an old diaper warming box that no longer works and put a light socket for nightlight bulbs in it. I have a 7 watt bulb in there but, it will only bring the temp up to 98 degrees. I did see a 10 wt florescent one but, will it work?

2. puckbunny87

puckbunny87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Norco, CA
    I'm not positive on this, so don't quote me... but I believe compact florescents are for lots of light/little heat. At least, if I remember correctly, that's what my fish keeping book says. They use them in small display tanks because of the intense light quality

3. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's what I thought so I hadn't bought it but, I was hoping I was wrong. Any other ideas for bringing the temp up those last few degrees?

4. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I guess I will have to go with the 15 wt bulb and put in a dimmer switch.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yep - either add one more socket so you can have two bulbs or use a larger wt bulb and a dimmer...

good luck!

6. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Those fluorescent bulbs do not heat enough. Don't try to use a dimmer on them either, or you'll greatly decrease its expected lifespan. Stick with the traditional "A" type bulbs.

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have a dimmer switch and asked DH to help put it in. I'm not sure which is the live wire and he can check it with all his testers! He thought I was crazy and gave me funny looks when I said a light bulb would work just fine for heat. He thought it was a hairbrained idea and I corrected him that it was a tried and true idea and there are many bators set up just like that out there! What can I expect? He's one of these if it isn't his idea it's not going to work. [​IMG] Not the first time I've had to prove something to him and I'm sure it won't be the last. Hopefully, I can get him to do it this weekend. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by