Question about cooking free range chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MSDeb, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

We processed one of our roos (Black Copper Marans) at seven months of age. Couldn't keep him in the neighborhood we live in. Today we decided to smoke the chicken for dinner.

The meat seemed to be more like duck meat (meat was chewy and red) than chicken.

I have to admit neither myself nor my dh have ever processed any home grown meat before. We grew up on the store bought chickens. Question is, is this normal? Should we be cooking chicken this old more like a stew or duck comfit?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Depends on what you mean by "duck meat". Do you mean a little chewy? That's normal for free range but a good marinade overnight usually will help with this if you want to BBQ or smoke it.

3. MSDeb

Quote:Edited my question to include: (meat was chewy and red)

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Seven months is a little late for Marans, that's the main issue. I usually do Marans at 5 months or 6 months, any later and I usually stew 'em or put them in the Crock Pot for a few hours first.

The red meat should only appear in the legs though, and is a sign of a healthier (not like Cornish X) bird, but in order for one to enjoy it properly, it needs to be younger or tenderized.

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Did you brine him?.. also how long after butchering did you cook him?

6. MSDeb

Quote:Yes it was brined. After processing I believe it was in the fridge for a day to cool and then frozen.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    7 months of age is a stewing bird. It's your cooking method, not the bird. Slow and low for a 7 month old chicken.

8. MSDeb

Quote:Thank you. I have the leftovers in the crockpot now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by