Question about cooking free range chickens

MSDeb

Songster
11 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Mississippi Gulf Coast
We processed one of our roos (Black Copper Marans) at seven months of age. Couldn't keep him in the neighborhood we live in. Today we decided to smoke the chicken for dinner.

The meat seemed to be more like duck meat (meat was chewy and red) than chicken.

I have to admit neither myself nor my dh have ever processed any home grown meat before. We grew up on the store bought chickens. Question is, is this normal? Should we be cooking chicken this old more like a stew or duck comfit?

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by "duck meat". Do you mean a little chewy? That's normal for free range but a good marinade overnight usually will help with this if you want to BBQ or smoke it.

Seven months is a little late for Marans, that's the main issue. I usually do Marans at 5 months or 6 months, any later and I usually stew 'em or put them in the Crock Pot for a few hours first.

The red meat should only appear in the legs though, and is a sign of a healthier (not like Cornish X) bird, but in order for one to enjoy it properly, it needs to be younger or tenderized.

Back
Top Bottom