Question about cooking..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by havi, May 22, 2010.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I have a recipe that calls for you to use 'a nonreactive saucepan.' I dont have a stainless steel pot big enough, so are my nonstick pans nonreactive? Or what else can I use?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    What exactly is the recipe and what are you trying to make, perhaps we could shed some light there if we knew more. Lot's of great cooks on this site, some don't even use a microwave LOL.

AL

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I think you can use it, because it is coated!

4. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Im making pickles. This is the step Im talking about:

"Fill a medium nonreactive saucepan with 4 cups water. Add vinegar and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until salt is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let mixture cool to room temperature. "

5. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Your coated pan should be fine. I think only copper and iron (and maybe aluminum?) are reactive.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes...... good that helps. what they are speaking of in pickle making is if you have any sort of impurities in the pot your canning/pickling mixture will turn dark and will not be able to age the pickle. Has to do with some of the spices used in the recipe.

AL

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    non-stick pans are fine. cast iron would not be.

8. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    This is my first time to make pickles. Ive never canned before, so I thought this would be a great start. Here is the recipe that Im using. I saw it on the Martha Stewart([​IMG]) show the other day and they looked soooo good! Thought I would give it a try.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/garlic-dill-pickles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by