Question about coop floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chalfant223, May 5, 2009.

1. chalfant223

chalfant223 New Egg

Jan 28, 2009
    Hampstead, NC
    The coop ( I call it a hen house) has a wood floor. We had hay in it but it was removed because a couple of the hens were hiding their eggs in it. I checked the floor yesterday and it is dry. I was thinking of using either peat moss or shavings. I already have the peat moss. I would have to go buy the shavings. Could I use the kind that my brother uses for his guniea pig?
    I have been reading alot of the post. There is so much useful information on this site.

Donna (NC)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read on here of people using peat moss. Don't see why not.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    If it has a wood floor I would put linoleum over it first and then use the bedding on top of that.
    We use the old Guinea Pig shavings after DD cleans all the cages each week to put down in the coops but on dirt floors. In about a month or so it is just right for the compost heap or for sale. With over 70 Guinea Pigs we have a lot of shavings!

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Find out which is cheaper, the peat or the shavings.
    NOT like any of us add up the costs of keeping our chickies! [​IMG]

Also, think now about where you're going to dispose of used bedding. Will you compost it?...sell it to gardeners?

5. chalfant223

chalfant223 New Egg

Jan 28, 2009
    Hampstead, NC
    The floor is wood. I was thinking that linoleum or those sticky squares. I have three bags of peat moss already on hand. Most likely will be composting for use in the garden and for friends.
    Thanks.

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I used peat moss in my brooder and won't be using it in my coop. WAAAAYYYYY too dusty. Like, incredible. It's not heat-light season right now, but I can see how that would be a fire issue. Besides, I wouldn't want to breathe that junk, so I'm not going to make the chickens do it either.

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I'm using linoleum remnant floor then rice hulls sprinkled with generous amounts of DE. Outside the coop I'm laying down some rice straw and they can scratch it out of the way to get to dirt if they want to.

8. figsonwheels

figsonwheels Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:I would not use the sticky squares. The chickens peck at the edges (they will get to them) and tear them up. Look for remnants. If you have to have one seam, that's better than lots of seams.

I use a combination of peat moss, pine shavings and corn silage with DE mixed in. I'm using it in the covered part of my coop (right on the earth floor), but the girls are kicking it to the run part too, which is okay. They seem to be entertained with the different kinds of litter.
    Here's my Open Air coop (although the page is not totally up to date - I'll have to get to that) https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=28411

figsonwheels
    Wonderful Husband, 3 Outstanding Sons,
    5 White Leghorns, 6 Brown Leghorns, 1 California White

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Lil Chickie Mama ,I have never heard of/seen rice straw before. We're in the MidWest--not a lot of rice is grown here. We grow/buy wheat or oat straw.
    Is it more absorbant?
    Do you have any pics of it? [​IMG]

10. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    You can get an 8x12 linoleum sheet at Lowes for $40 and lay it down with the vinyl glue. I use shavings and DE. Really no smell and will compost nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by