Question about Coop Location

karenw

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Hi everyone. I finally picked out a coop plan which is the garden stationary coop at this link: http://www.thegardencoop.com/ I will probably expand the run area a bit to provide the hens with a little more room. What do you think of this coop?

Now my question is where to put the coop. I am planning on 3 to 5 hens. I don't have any nearby neighbors so I don't have to worry about smell in that respect. However I am considering placing the coop beside my backyard deck or in an area of my garden just off of my deck. Is it a bad idea to have the chickens that close to the deck as far as smell goes? I was thinking it would be fun to watch them when we use the deck but I also don't want smell and/or flies keeping us from using our deck. Would it be better to place them further away? Would it help if I build them a separate mobile pen in addition for the daytime which I can move from place to place in the yard?

Also, I have 2 pet parrots. They would not come in direct contact with the chickens or the chickens with them. I have always been worried about possible disease in this respect in the past. Does anyone else have chickens and parrots? I am thinking as long as I use appropriate discretion such as wearing different shoes, clothes, etc. with the chickens and washing hands, etc. before handling the parrots after the chickens and vice versa they should be okay. Any opinions on the above questions appreciated. Thanks!

Karen

If I were you, I would think about the maintenance aspect as in electric, water, storage for feed etc. How far you have to carry the water & feed. Do you need electric for winter time? etc. As long as you keep the coop clean, I don't see any problems with smell.

The location I picked for my coop was under a big tree because of the brutal heat here in Texas. I'm so glad I built the coop where
63768_p7230086.jpg
I did.

Back
Top Bottom