1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Coop size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Roosting Robin, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Roosting Robin

Roosting Robin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Atlanta, Texas
    Our coop is 6x6 ft with 8 nest boxes built outside of the 36 sq. ft. The enclosed outside pen is almost the size of a large backyard. However, right now I have 21 chicks coming, which is about 8 more than I figure the coop should hold. The ceiling is 9 ft tall. If I build a 'loft' - a 2 ft wide shelf 5 feet high that chickens can reach from the laddered roosts, will that suffice to add appropriate floor space? My husband thinks I'll regret it because of the need for cleaning those shelves, but I plan to cover in vinyl contact paper....

2. CrazyChickGirl

CrazyChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2014
    I have no idea, but I'm interested to see the responses... For 36 sq feet I thought the recommendation would be 9 chickens...

3. Roosting Robin

Roosting Robin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Atlanta, Texas
    You are correct. My math was bad. Coop will end up being 7x6 when finished. Shelf would add about 28 sq ft. I'm still way short of coop space!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by