Question about coop..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Meloout831, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Meloout831

Meloout831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    If one uses tread wood for a coop and paint it, is it harmful to the chickens?

There is this guy that makes coops, but uses treated wood.

Thanks.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    No reason to use pressure-treated wood for anything other than teh ground-contact part of the frame.

That said, it will probably not hurt the chickens, especially not after painting or sealing. Don't use it for the roost however.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with what patandchickens said. If you paint it, it should be okay. However, I prefer not to use it in any of my projects. It gets the chemicals airborne when you cut it and I don't want the sawdust in my lungs or yard.

Just change out the roosts if he uses it in that part.

4. Meloout831

Meloout831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Oh ok! I believe he uses treated plywood. Is that preesure treated? I don't recall stores selling pressure treated. Unless he uses something on the wood.

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I use treated on my run but never inside and def not on the roost! I made a small tractor and I shingled the lumber to protect it.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There *is* such a thing as pressure-treated plywood. An argument might be made in some cases for using it for the coop flooring (in which case, I would unquestionably prime and paint it). Still can't see any reason for using it anywhere else on the coop though.

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by