question about coops/runs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mother of All, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    what is an Apron? that everyone is talking about around the runs/coops

2. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    I believe an apron is an area of ground surface around the perimeter of your pen/coop where you would lay either welded wire underground or some other predetor (diggers) prevention methods such as patio stones, large rocks etc. I am going to lay used chain link fence just below the surface if I can find some for free, failing that, I have lots of rocks, all sizes, and I'll be laying those, decoratively as a rock type garden, all around the perimeter.

3. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    thank you

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It's sometimes referred to as a skirt, often made of welded wire laid flat on the ground outside the perimeter of the run, and attached in some fashion to the vertical plane of the fence. The idea is that when a predator comes and tries to dig inside the run, it usually starts to dig right next to the fence, hits the wire apron, and can't dig through it. The predator doesn't think of backing up beyond the edge of the apron and starting to dig back there.

You can buy apron fence already made, or make your own. Here's an example (but it's woven wire...no good for serious predator protection):

http://www.wirefenceonline.com/apronfence

This just gives you an picture of what we're referring to.

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Here is a pic showing an apron I put around the hoop coop that I built.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by