1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Cornish's as meat birds......

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Twister303, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Twister303

Twister303 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I am looking to raise my own meat chickens for the first time this year. I have raised other breeds for eggs and pets. From what I've read, the ideal meat bird is a Cornish/Rock cross.

I'm assuming they mean a Cornish crossed with a white Plymouth Rock. Remember, this is my first time doing it, so I'm learning.

My first question is, could I cross a Cornish to a Barred Rock and still get a good meat bird, and would they mature relatively quickly?

My second question is could I use a White Laced Red Cornish, or does it have to be a dark Cornish?

My only reason for asking is actually silly. I simply don't like the looks of the routinely used birds. And I'd like to keep the Barred Rocks around a bit.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The actual genetics of the Cornish X chicks sold for meat are a valued secret. You will get a perfectly good eating chicken with any of the crosses you are talking about, but it will not be the same as a store bought chicken.

If you've never eaten a chicken you raised, you might want to start with raising a few purchased Cornish X chicks, or White Laced Red Cornish (since they should breed true,) or even with eating a Barred Rock, of any of the other dual purpose breeds, such as a white rock. Have you seen this article?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...raditional-meats-from-historic-chicken-breeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by