Question about Cornish's as meat birds......

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Twister303, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Twister303

Twister303 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I am looking to raise my own meat chickens for the first time this year. I have raised other breeds for eggs and pets. From what I've read, the ideal meat bird is a Cornish/Rock cross.

I'm assuming they mean a Cornish crossed with a white Plymouth Rock. Remember, this is my first time doing it, so I'm learning.

My first question is, could I cross a Cornish to a Barred Rock and still get a good meat bird, and would they mature relatively quickly?

My second question is could I use a White Laced Red Cornish, or does it have to be a dark Cornish?

My only reason for asking is actually silly. I simply don't like the looks of the routinely used birds. And I'd like to keep the Barred Rocks around a bit.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The actual genetics of the Cornish X chicks sold for meat are a valued secret. You will get a perfectly good eating chicken with any of the crosses you are talking about, but it will not be the same as a store bought chicken.

If you've never eaten a chicken you raised, you might want to start with raising a few purchased Cornish X chicks, or White Laced Red Cornish (since they should breed true,) or even with eating a Barred Rock, of any of the other dual purpose breeds, such as a white rock. Have you seen this article?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...raditional-meats-from-historic-chicken-breeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by