Question about Cross breeding goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lollymay80, Apr 2, 2015.

1. lollymay80

lollymay80 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    I'm a new goat owner. We actually have 2 goats...both Nigerian dwarf does. We are looking to breed them in the future. Right now, we are wanting them only as pets. My question is...can you mix a Nigerian dwarf with a Nubian/Pygmy buck (I believe they are called kinder goats??)

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes you can they'll just won't be purebred goats

3. lollymay80

lollymay80 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Thanks for your response! I've been searching to see if there were any pics of the same crossbreed I mentioned. Do you know of any site I could see any?

4. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Well technically you could, but there is no way in the world that I would do it!!!!
    For one, A Nubian/Pygmy cross is going to be larger than your Nigerian, so could lead to large kids and kidding complications. Secondly, Pygmies are notorious for have big blocky heads that are hard to kid also. Combine a possible large headed kid with a kid possibly too large for the doe and you have A MAJOR TRAIN WRECK.
    Like I said technically you can, but be prepared for a visit to the vet (which of course won't be during normal business hours) and a probably c-section or a dead doe and kids.

5. lollymay80

lollymay80 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Thanks for your response. The more I have read into it, I completely agree with you comment! I would never do anything prior to researching or receiving advice from others. I never knew there was so much to consider with raising goats! As far as caring for them, I believe we are doing great, as are they. We are fortunate enough to be living 1/4 mi down the road from the previous owner, who happens to be an older gentlemen who has raised goats for years. He is very helpful and quick to give advice, when asked, on raising our goats. I didn't want to ask him the question I posted on this forum because I didn't want to seem completely crazy! lol I'm thinking we will just stick with breeding our nigerian with another nigerian....later down the road. Maybe sometime later, may consider Nubian doe and nigerian buck?? I believe those are considered Mini Nubian?? Again, any advice is welcome. That is the only way we will learn more! TIA:)

6. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Yes, breeding a Nigerian buck to a Nubian doe will ultimately result in Mini-Nubians. I don't know how many times you have to cross them though before they are considered a true Mini-Nubian.

And good plan :) You can't learn unless you ask questions!! Also, better to ask than to have a train wreck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by