Question about crossing bantams with LF

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mediazeal, May 31, 2010.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    assuming you have traits, patterns, colors in bantam you want to cross to LF
    how would you go about it?

Can a bantam rooster do the job with LF?
    thanks for your wisdom

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Maybe I would have gotten more responses if I asked about bantams crossing the road...
    [​IMG]

3. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    Depends on the size of the hen. I have eggs due to hatch tomorrow from a old english game bantam roo and a large fowl ameraucana hen. I did have to trim their bum feathers. You might want to try a girl on the small side of her breed, then cross that offspring to a normal "breed standard" size. Too big of a girl and you might have to artificially inseminate. Good luck!!

4. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    Herein lies the proof, one hatched early....

[​IMG]

Mom
    [​IMG]

Dad
    [​IMG]

5. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

The bantam roosters can do the job for sure. Just realize it will be at least 3 generations before you get reliably large fowl. The first generation will likely be around the same size but the f2 will be all over the size spectrum. Depending on the size of the rooster I would also do a large cockerel over bantam hen's. Of course if your talking Orpingtons and Serama's then you can nix that idea [​IMG]

6. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa [​IMG]

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have a bantam araucana hen I am breeding to a large fowl araucana because I like her coloring. The babies from the bantam hen seem a little smaller but they are just babies yet so we will see.

8. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:Excellent
    the important thing is they were able to work it out to produce the babies!
    thanks
    Kris

9. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If you use a LF rooster with a bantam hen, make sure there isn't too incredibly much size difference, because the egg doesn't get any bigger - but the baby inside it can.
    But if it's reversed, there isn't any problem [​IMG] It'll just take a while to get it back to the LF size you want. I agree trimming the "butt fluff" is a good idea. I'm sure some people have probably also used AI for this. It's not really that hard with chickens, but it's not something I'd enjoy doing [​IMG]

10. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know [​IMG] its a good question though. FrogTown it looks like you OEGB rooster has some scaly leg mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by