Question about crossing call duck varieties

Sleepytime

Songster
5 Years
Oct 26, 2016
GA
I recently bought a group of call ducks from someone who decided to no longer raise them. There are some females that I don't have a matching male to breed to. I'm wondering if they can be bred to any of the males I have. I show, so I'm only interested in crosses that would produce already accepted varieties. The unmatched females are butterscotch and blue fawn. The males I have are gray and pastel.

They will breed but as far as I know they wouldn't be 'show quality' from the beginning. That might take select breeding. Also call ducks are some of the hardest to hatch so I imagine crossing them might only further complicate the process. That does NOT make it not worth a try though. You might have more luck posting this in the duck forum! There's lot's of call duck owners there! You can ask a moderator to move your post!

They will breed but as far as I know they wouldn't be 'show quality' from the beginning. That might take select breeding. Also call ducks are some of the hardest to hatch so I imagine crossing them might only further complicate the process. That does NOT make it not worth a try though. You might have more luck posting this in the duck forum! There's lot's of call duck owners there! You can ask a moderator to move your post!
I'm not looking to cross them with other breeds (not sure if that's what you meant), was wondering if the varieties (colors) could be crossed and get recognized varieties. I've had call ducks in the past and successfully hatched them, so not worried about that part of it.

Back
Top Bottom